We are a campus-wide interdisciplinary team advancing health equity through research, education, and community engagement. We strive to be creative critical, collaborative, and transformative in our work. We uphold San Francisco State University's mission of honoring roots, stimulating intellectual and personal development, promoting equity, and inspiring the courage to lead, create, and innovate.
- To lead interdisciplinary research and scholarship that provides the knowledge and recommendations needed to promote health equity
- To foster critical consciousness about the social determinants of health through our educational and raining activities
- To collaborate and work in solidarity with community organizations and governmental agencies promoting health equity
- To work effectively and equitably in a culture of inclusion and teamwork
- Read our Strategic Plan (.pdf) If you need a PDF document reader, visit Adobe.com.
In collaboration with the Cinema department, HEI has produced more than 50 short documentaries. These films are student-produced and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Health Equity Institute. Students learn how to blend the art of storytelling with social justice issues.